Tuesday 3 March 2015

Hitting the Reset Button...Already

One newbie blogger's personal experience with starting a blog, facing and dealing with early roadblocks, and conquering self-doubt.

March is here already. I honestly can't even believe how quickly this year has started out! The days are passing quickly, and each day I am learning more and more about myself, and this crazy little adventure I began early in the year.

I started Burlap & Breadcrumbs at the end of January this year, and my oh my, did February ever present a steep learning curve for me. I had thought about starting a blog for a few months before actually getting up the courage to put pen to paper, so to speak; however, in those few months, while I did do a lot of researching on starting a blog, I didn't ever really come up with a "game plan" for when things got rolling. I strugled through my first few posts, and then disappeared for a few weeks. Things got busy in life and at my "real job", and because of my lack of pre-planning, B & B fell by the wayside.

With the beginning of March brings a sense of a new season...I know spring doesn't technically start for another few weeks, but the weather around here has actually been pretty great, and I'm getting the first tastes of sun and warmth - my favorite things about spring. With the changes in the weather, I am inspired to pull up my socks, and bring about some change to other aspects of my life. It's time to buckle down, literally put pen to paper, make a plan, and succeed!

I truly thought when I first started B & B, because I had all kinds of ideas floating around in my head about recipes and crafting projects that I could create and share, that the blog posts would just come flowing right out of my finger tips. Well, unfortunately that was not the case. Because I work shift work, and can get called in at any time, any spare moment I have is like some sort of miniature Holy Grail - for so long, I have had to take time for myself whenever I could find it. And if I don't have these moments planned and accounted for, then I am definitely more likely to end up laying in bed in my pajamas all day marathoning Friends on Netflix than I am to actually do something productive. When this is how I spend my time, at the end of the day I end up feeling quite unsatisfied and like I wasted my whole day (because basically I did). I started B & B for myself, as a way to open up creative pathways in my life, and as a sort of respite from the work I do day to day at the job that pays the bills. But because I didn't take the time to make a plan, probably because it didn't seem super important at the time, I lost my drive and motivation, and let B & B slip through the cracks for a while.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing though; like I said before, this was a learning curve for me. The brief hiatus from B & B allowed me to take a critical look at what this blog means to me, and where I want it to go; during this time I was able to re-evaluate a few other aspects of my life as well. I was able to get away for a few days by myself, which rarely happens (but I like it that way), and I really gained some perspective. In the grand scheme of things, this blog - writing, crafting, being creative - is what I want out of my life moving forward. If taking a few minutes or hours to sit down and write up a plan of attack in order to give myself direction is all it is going to take for me to succeed in this adventure, how is that work? If I am able to find passion in what I do, and share that passion with others, is that not the ultimate goal? Are we not all searching for something that we can love doing everyday, something that makes us happy, and something that we can grow with in the future? That's my ultimate goal in life, and it's time I start taking myself seriously, and making my life one that I want to keep living.

Starting today, I am making a conscious effort to take time, focus on what is important to me, and plan for my future. I have gathered up a few things to help get myself started - my day-to-day work/life planner, a blog planner, and all of the necessary (and not so necessary, but gorgeous) stationary - and I can't wait to begin! What tools do you all use to set goals, and keep on track, in your lives? I'd love to hear about them, I welcome all the advice I can get, so feel free to leave me a comment below!

No comments :

Post a Comment